Level Editor: Walkthrough
I write this section with the help and orientation of my friend KoldoCroft, the reason is for to guide people that would like to learn this world, but because of its complex, they are afraid to start. Bellow you will find a step by step way to start and links for downloads all the tools you need for to creat a custom level, and for to know what is use for each tool:
Before to continue with the tools, I will show you some english and spanish manuals for the most know softwares, TRLE official, and DXTre3d.
|TRLE English||TRLE Spanish||Dxtre3d English||Dxtre3d Spanish|
|3.80 mb||2.60 mb||1.16 mb||1.33 mb|
- First of all, we need to instal the Official Tomb Raider Level Editor (TRLE), i put the PC and Macintosh versions; and the necesary libraries for to run properly these softwares, Visual Basic 5 Runtime and Visual Basic 6 Runtime:
|TRLE PC||TRLE Mac||V.Basic 5 Run||V.Basic 6 Run|
|175 mb||170 mb||2.03 mb||2.36 mb|
- An alternative software for the level editor is DXTre3d (but you should install TRLE anyway).
DXtre3D rev.2L 5.37 mb
- You can install too the software called Wad Merger, with this software you can add extra objects or whatever you need to add to your custom level, the models must be in the folder GRAPHICS/WADS from TRLE. A useful website for to find plenty of models and objects is: http://www.trsearch.org. The best way on starting your project is for to include all your models and organize them before to start, for to avoid any kind of errors.
WADMerger 1.98 Beta 3 672 kb
- Another tool quite useful is STRiPix, its function is basically light effects on the models and retexturize them. It´s used as well PixStr22, although this one is less common as I read on Internet, Strpix have more possibilities, nevertheless, I put both softwares:
STRpix 3.9.5 rev 1L 310 kb
PixStr22 1.28 mb
- I add as well the tomb2pc.exe file modified for to avoid some crytical erros, and the tomb4.exe file modified for to allow more memory.
TRLE update speed 499 kb
Tomb4.exe memory 400 kb
- The next software is called FexMerger, this tool allows you to mix, add or take away objects (moveables and static mesh) from Phd, Tub, tr2, tr3, tr4 and trc files.
FexMerger 3.1 400 kb
- Tr-Media Manager allow you to prepare media such as movies, pictures, text, music, for to custom all your levels.
TR Media SDK 1 11.40 mb
- Script Generator, as you can imagine, it´s a tool very useful for to generate your own scripts if you don´t know very well how to create by your own.
TR Script Generator 2.0 1.11 mb
- Another toold that we describe next is Tomb Raider Engine Patcher, TREP is a small open-source utility which modifies Tomb Raider 4 engine (tomb4.exe file) used for playing custom levels built with TRLE and DXTre3d. This utility allows you to change various hardcoded parameters, modify object and trigger behaviour, add new gameplay features, create your own custom flipeffects, timed events and patches and then share them with all TR community.
Now TREP also allows you to modify major TR4 engine parameters on the fly, using add-on script file, as well as create your own script entries of any type for per-level parameter modifying.
TREP v.076 rev5b 298 kb
TREP v.076 Source code 355 kb
- TBuilder (Texture Builder), greatly simplifies the task of making texture sets for your levels, very easy to use.
TBuilder 2.4 466 kb
- Another extra tool is MilkShape 3D, it's a low-polygon modeler, which was initially designed for Half-Life.
MilkShape 3D 5.19 mb
- Leikkuri ("cutter" in english) is a simple utility to modify hardcoded TR4 font table, which sets each symbol's size, baseline-relative position and coordinates in FONT.PC file.
Leikkuri v.043 40.5 kb
- And concluding, and not for that less important, the tool called Metasequoia is a polygon modeler for 3DCG and game development. Besides, you can get more realistic details such as round surfaces.
Metasequoia 2.44 4.89 mb